January 29, 2012

Shells Galore!

This summer we too a trip to visit our cousins in Clearwater, FL. It was so much fun with the boys getting to spend time with their cousins like we used to when we were kids, building tents with blankets and sheets over the dining room table. Having their secret fort made everything so exciting, from eating meals under there and briefly spending the night under there (although that didn't last as it got "too scary!")

We spend a few days on the beach and there were a few seashells but finally, on our last overcast day we took the boat out to Caladesi Island and found tons of amazing seashells. The boys cast their nets and found many live creatures, fish, starfish, crabs. It was the best day at the beach ever!

Since I had hit the mother load of seashells and had no time to clean them all properly before we went home, I had to figure out a way to take them home without us passing out from the stench of a rotting, fishy smell because a seven hour trip home in the middle of summer closed up in the car would surely be a recipe for disaster. So I double sealed them in black trash bags and took my precious shells home (I had 3 garbage bags FULL!). It worked the ride home was successful and I moved on to properly cleaning them. I rinsed them in bleach water and layed them out on the back deck to dry for about a week (the cat was so curious about it all and was very perplexed why there was this scrumptious fish smell without anything to taste).

So, from the story you can tell that was about 6 months ago and I have just gotten around to doing something with all those shells.




I started by sorting them into types of shells (oh my aching back!)


Then I took this bust I had gotten a couple years ago that was covered in these ugly corn husks and began gluing. Oh the wonderful things a hot glue gun can do!! It took several days but it is finally finished and I LOVE it!!



Although this took alot of shells I have plenty left, what do you think I should do next? I am thinking furniture or something big and bold, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment